When I was about 13 my mother gave me a CD of A Chorus Line. For those of you less
familiar, it is a musical (which I still haven’t seen) about a group of actors
auditioning for a musical. One of those play-within-a-play things… except the
opposite. Throughout the show you see into some of the characters’ pasts and
begin to understand more about who they are and perhaps why they went into
performing. In the middle of the sound
track there is a three track montage where all of the characters recall their
teenage years. The montage begins with Hello
Twelve, Hello Thirteen, Hello Love and includes one of my favorite lines,
“Gee, I’m almost ready! But what for?”
I remember listening to this soundtrack for the first time on
my walkman (remember those?!) during one of my family’s annual car trip from
Alabama to Pennsylvania. Now, at 13 I
was a bit shocked by some of things I heard, specifically in this montage. There was lots of sex, some homosexuality and
plenty of teenage insecurity. I still remember sitting in the back seat
silently shocked and worried that perhaps my mother had forgotten about these
things (she hadn’t) and I wasn’t really supposed to be hearing them. I now use
this as a humorous picture of what it was like to grow up with my mother. There
wasn’t really any censorship but somehow I was still very certain that were I
to act out any of this behavior there would be Hell to pay.
Now finally to the point. One of the final lines, “and now
life really begins” has always stuck with me. The characters have just finished
recounting all sorts of interesting, inappropriate and somewhat horrifying
pictures of their adolescence and the last thing they say about it is, “and now life really begins, go to it.” All of the horrors and struggles were
preparations, making them the adults they grew into. Those struggles weren’t
the point.
Adolescence is an interesting time, there’s so much growing
and changing and every new challenge seems like you’re fighting for your life. Every
challenge feels like it’s the END OF THE WORLD, but really, it’s just the
beginning, preparing you to be an independent thinking human being. I began a
blog by this title directly after college assuming that it was the beginning of
my life. I was an adult now. I would get a job and a place to live, pay rent
and bills and somehow all of that would make me a “grownup.” I’m now well into my twenties but I still
feel like I’m only just beginning to grow up. I’m a long way from feeling like
a “grownup,” and every challenge still feels like THE END OF THE WORLD. I’d like to think that it’s because all of my
life, not just my teenage years, is merely a preparation for the life I was
meant to live. I will always be growing and changing into the woman God wants
me to be. The life I was created for is not this one it one much grander than I
could imagine. This side of eternity I will only get pictures of it, but if I
can remember that this life is merely preparation for where I am bound, perhaps
that will help my perspective. And hopefully help me gain wisdom and
understanding from the challenges and the triumphs that life on this earth has
to offer.
So I am naming this blog as such because really, life is always
only just beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment