I studied
all the pictures in magazines and books
I memorized
the subway map too
It's one
block north to Macy's and two to Brothers Brooks
Manhattan, I
prepared for you
Well I can’t
say I’m as prepared as Millie, but this song/musical has been a bit of a
soundtrack for my German adventures! I’ve spent two days here and have managed
to navigate myself to a couple of places, sans GPS. I’ve already had a few run
ins with natives, and used the S-bahn and U-bahn (Berlin’s metro) successfully. But I’ve been a bit surprised by how self
conscious I am about the language barrier.
Gestern war kalt, windig, und regnerisch.
Yesterday was cold, windy,
and rainy.
Not wanting the rain to
hinder my adventures, I set out to the nearest grocery store to buy and
umbrella. Because of course, even though Rick Steves told me too, I didn't bring an umbrella. After searching the store and finding all sorts of random things,
none of which were an umbrella, I had this conversation with a worker.
"Do you speak
English?"
"No. "
Uhh...
So I smile and walk away. I take another cursory look around the store still
find no umbrellas and continue back out into the rain. Now there were a couple
of things that were surpriseing about this. First of all, she didn’t speak
English. If there was one comment I kept hearing about people in Germany it
was, “oh they all speak
English.” Second of all, she didn’t seem interested in trying to work through
the language barrier, simply said no and went back to her work. Nor did she
attempt to direct me to another member of the store that spoke English. She was
perfectly conyent to let that be the end of it. So as I walked back out into
the cold rain I thought about what I could have done to improve the situation.
Well first of all I could have asked her if she spoke English, but in German. I
know how to say, “Sprechen Sie English?” This would at least show that I was
trying and perhaps she would be more willing to help. Or I could have said “Ich
möchte…” or “Ich brauche…” or “Haben Sie…” and then mimed an umbrella – that
not having been one of my vocab words. But I hadn’t wanted to say any of those
things. Why? Well I thought about it and realized I’m embarrassed. Embarrassed
that I’m a grown, educated woman but not actually educated enough to ask a
question that a native toddler could manage.
Now, I know, I know, I’ve only had two years of high school German about
ten yeast ago, it’s understandable that I’m struggling. “Give yourself some
grace!” my roommates would say. And I will, but I want to explore this a bit
further. I would rather correctly and accurately speak my own language than
have to mangle another in front of someone who will certainly know when I do. When
it comes down to it, I’m being prideful. Too proud to struggle in front of a
stranger. I ponder this for a while longer and come upon another store that
looks like it might sell umbrellas. I get up my courage and go in.
The store is deserted so I walk directly to the counter and
wait for the employee to acknowledge me. He does and I now timidly say,
“Sprechen Sie English?” He shakes his head no. Oh boy… I then proceed to mime
an umbrella (not difficult since It’s currently pouring) and he nods his head
yes and points me to a pile on a shelf right next to the door I came in
through. I buy the umbrella and he even takes of the wrapping for me after I
paid. Phew! I got what I needed and the local didn’t point and laugh! I did,
momentarily have to mime like a child, but I’ve gotta get over that. I’m going
to make mistakes, a lot of them. And now that I’m living here among Germans I
don’t just get to make mistakes in class.
So to sum up, I think this whole experience will be very
good for me, in more ways than just learning the language. I’ll also be learning
to put aside my pride and just fail at something. Practice is the only way I’ll
improve. Maybe next time I can ask what the word for umbrella is. :)
i love this! it is definitely a new experience to realize that there actually MAY NOT be a way to communicate to somehow what i need to communicate to them.
ReplyDeletei have had lots of these kinds of situations.. at least no one thinks that i can speak zulu. i feel like that would be worse.
keep the stories coming!
Blog entry! E - I love this. Lots of excellent, challenging thoughts. Keep them coming!
ReplyDelete