Monday, August 5, 2013

lists, lists, lists

So this is probably my last post from Berlin. It's strange. If I think about leaving do get a bit sad. Sad that I'm really not sure when I'll see this lovely city or the friends I've made here again. I know I'd like to come back, but I have no idea when. However, if I focus on what I'm returning to and what I'm returning with (renewed sense of self, new goals, and confidence) I just get really excited.  So I'm focusing on the later. Friends and family I've missed, the comforts of home, and of course a return to the routine, I do love my routines. But now I return to them with a new appreciation for them. Sometimes it takes going away to realize what we love about what we already have.

So here's a list of things I've found funny, different, interesting or just noteworthy about Berlin:

1.       There are so many dogs here!
2.       There don’t appear to be leash laws. Also, the dogs here are exceptionally well trained.
3.       The grocery stores don’t give you bags. So either bring your own or walk home with your arms full.
4.       Hulu and other streaming sites don’t work (unless you bypass the IP address hehehe)
5.       Meeting someone from Colorado suddenly feels like meeting your next door neighbor
6.       They don’t use paper towels… at least my flat mates don’t.
7.       Portions seem to be smaller in the grocery stores. I don’t see gallon sized anything.
8.       You can by liquor in the check out aisle of the grocery store.
9.       Traffic lights turn yellow before they turn green – brilliant!
10.   Marzipan is actually good here!
11.   I have found it very difficult to find decaf coffee here at a store other than Starbucks
12.   Subsequently, I’ve had more caffeine while I’ve been here than I probably have in the US for the last
         year
13.   For as green conscious as they are no one seems to use the reusable water bottles. Instead most people seem to refill a plastic water bottle until it wears out and then just buy a new one.
14.   Speaking of water bottles, there is Berlin conspiracy to help the homeless. Here you can take back your plastic and/or class bottles and jars to the grocery story to recycle them and get some money back for your bottle. I think as much as 25 cent Euro for one bottle. I’m not sure if they straight up give you the cash back if you ask for it, I’ve only ever presented my receipt while purchasing groceries so it ends up reducing the price. But you get the money in one form or another. However, if you buy a water bottle on the streets and you don’t want to continue carrying it, many people would probably throw it away figuring that 25 cents isn’t worth the hassle. However, in Berlin instead of throwing the bottles away people leave them places. Sometimes just by a trash can and sometimes in more creative places, but they leave them for the homeless and poor to come by and collect themselves to redeem at the grocery store. Pretty cool!
15.   Wurst kicks hotdog’s butt. Especially on a fresh bakery roll instead of our hotdog buns….
16.   Kids seem generally more independent. I’ve seen tons of 3 year olds on their own foot powered bike trailing after their parents on busy streets navigating through the crowds perfectly.
17.   The bakeries here are AMAZING, there’s one on every corner, and I now know why everyone bikes everywhere. I would weigh 500lbs if I lived here!
18.   Chocolate here is better too. Again, 500lbs!
19.   Customer service is definitely not as much of a big deal. However in general, people are still helpful and friendly.
20.   Buying a metro pass is on the honor system unless you happen to be on a car that gets a random ticket check.  Something I have yet to experience. It makes me wonder how many people actually pay for tickets.
21.   What they call celery here is a strange onion like thing that tastes nothing like our celery. It is however, green.
22.   There are no open container laws. People roam around the streets drinking all kinds of alcohol at any hour of the day.
23.   Subsequently there are broken glass pieces everywhere. Watch your step!
24.   Tattoos are super popular on everyone – boy, girl, young, old, doesn’t matter.
25.   The first floor is not the ground level floor it’s what we in the States would refer  to as the second floor. This idiosyncrasy caused confusion on more than one occasion especially when reading multi level store maps.
26.   The doors to U bahn and S bahn (the German metro/subway) do not open automatically at a stop. You must press a button to exit. The first time I was first in line to exit I do have to admit I sat there for a good 30 sec after the train stopped before I realized I was the hold up!
27.   Frequently musicians get on the S and U bahn for a stop or two and play a song. It’s a nice break of the usual silence.




And here's a list of things I have missed about home and am excited to return to:

1.       Chipotle – seriously I may demand a pit stop on the way home from the airport (what do you think, KP?)
2.       My car. But not for the reasons you might think. I don’t love driving in fact I could totally do without it, I’m a big fan of this public transportation thing. However, I really miss having a space that’s all mine where I can sing at the top of my lungs and no one says anything about it other than the occasional sideways glance at stoplights.
3.       English. I have a new respect for people trying to learn a foreign language. It’s HARD. And really, really humbling.
4.       American business hours. What do you mean I can’t buy groceries on Sunday? :)
5.       Blending in. I feel like all I’ve done here is tried to blend in but the minute I open my mouth I give it all away. Generally my usually talkative and friendly nature has been reduced to a smile and nod when dealing with strangers.
6.       AIR CONDITIONING!!
7.       My church.
8.       Being able to read the nutritional information on the side of grocery store items. I figured out why the yogurt is so much better here… don’t check the fat content. Just don’t do it.
9.       Having my entire wardrobe at my disposal. When I got here I longed for my sweaters and now I wish I had brought some of those cotton dresses. I stupidly believed people when they told me it would be too cold here to bother brining them…
10.   And the best for last. My friends and family. You guys rock. I’m very glad to have made friends here in Berlin, but I’ll be soooo happy to see all my old ones when I return!
 

2 comments:

  1. Love these lists!
    Will definitely miss you, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! I will miss you too! Thank you for everything. It's because of you that I was able to feel so at home in Berlin. I can't thank you enough for that!

    ReplyDelete