Tonight I went to my first worship service at
Berlinprojekt. Going to a
worship service in a language that I almost entirely do not understand intimidates
me. But I’ll only be here for a short while and I really wanted to experience what Berlinprojekt is like – so I decided
to go.
Once I got there they had bulletins just like we do, I
started scanning it for words or fragments that I could understand. I realized
the structure is very similar to what I’m used to, sing, pray, read, preach,
pray, communion. Great. Then I looked at the songs. To my delight I actually
recognized the third song, “So groβ ist der Herr” or for those of you with no
German, “How great is our God.” And then once they started playing the first
song I realized I knew it as well, “Lobe den Herren, den mächtigen König” or as
well call it, “Praise to the Lord.”
Exciting!
Even not really knowing the language I can pronounce most of
it, if given enough time (thank you Anne Gray’s diction class!) And singing
speed is perfect for this. I realized I was able to really participate in this
part of the service that is usually one of my favorites. And even though I did
not understand every word, I was often times able to get a good understanding
of what we were singing much easier than if we had been speaking.
It was just fantastic to feel a part of a worship service
through the music even if the rest of the time I only understood 5% of what was
going on.
Then at the end of the service there was communion. And this
was another instance where suddenly I was able to understand what was
happening. But this time not because of the music, but because of the routine
and liturgy (This is my body broken for you, this is my blood, shed for you,
etc., I think knowing the word for bread helped too) And then I got to receive
communion. It was a wonderful reminder of the united worldwide Church. Even
though I understood not a word of the sermon, I can still commune with His
people through the sacrament. What a blessing!
I even met some lovely English speaking girls at a barbeque
they were having after the service and had a grand time discussing the
differences between American and German law. They were both law students, I did
a lot of nodding. :)
oh, i have PERFECTED the nod and general expression of understanding. i LOVE everything about this!
ReplyDelete